What is a Firebrand Azure Network Engineer Apprenticeship?
The apprentice will develop into an Azure Network Engineer. They’ll focus on Microsoft Azure virtual networks whilst learning how to design, install, maintain and support communication networks within an organisation or between multiple organisations.
Apprentices will become experts in network configuration and administration, including being able to provide targeted technical advice and guidance.
On the 18 month programme; Azure Network Engineer apprentices will learn the principles of networking, protocols and associated technologies – including monitoring tools like Perfmon and New Relic. They’ll also learn how to:
- Connect an on-premises network to an Azure virtual network
- Install and configure network components, like switches, routers, and firewalls
- Extend on-premises IT environment into Microsoft Azure
- Troubleshoot Azure virtual network issues
- Undertake system upgrades to network hardware, software and operating systems
Typical job roles: Azure Network Engineer, Network Technician, Network Engineer, Systems Engineer & Network Administrator
How are employers involved?
- Employing an apprentice for a fixed 16 month contract to progress them beyond their existing skills
- Creating a position that will give apprentices an opportunity to work alongside IT professionals and learn the skills outlined in the Network Engineer Standard
- Dedicating an internal mentor to coach, organise and support the apprentice throughout their learning
- Working closely with Firebrand Training to build the best training programme
- Helping their apprentice with their final assessment programme to achieve all of their learning outcomes in the Network Engineer Trailblazer Standard
- Supporting other expenses required during the learning programme - including travel and additional learning
- Paying their apprentice the recommended minimum wage of £250 per week.
What qualifications ans certifications can Azure Network Engineer apprentices achieve?
As part of their apprenticeship, your apprentices must sit a number of pre-selected exams which they will need to pass to gain their Azure Network Engineer Apprenticeship qualification at a Pass, Merit or Distinction grade. Apprentices are also assessed by Firebrand against Ofqual-regulated Knowledge Standards as part of their programme.
Exams and certifications are not mandatory for every Firebrand training course attended by apprentices, however employers can purchase additional exam vouchers when their apprentices have gained the relevant work experience if they wish to.
Once apprentices have completed their apprenticeship they are officially recognised by the British Computer Society (BCS) for entry onto the register of IT Technicians, confirming SFIA level 3 professional competence.
How will Firebrand help?
- Our programmes are fully customisable - so we'll help tailor your programme to suit both employer and apprentice
- We'll designate a Learning Mentor, who'll guide and support employers, mentors and apprentices throughout the programme
- We run courses throughout the year, meaning training can be scheduled around the progress of apprentices and their job role
- Travel and expenses are kept to a minimum, due to our residential and fully inclusive training
- Because we've delivered 100s of Tech Industry Gold Trailblazer apprenticeships already, we make things efficient and easy - leaving you to concentrate on apprentice needs and development
5 steps to being a Canon Partner Apprentice employer
- Identify whether you're recruiting for a new role, or if you'd like to develop existing staff
- Choose a mentor for your apprentice - they'll be responsible for the programme’s success within your organisation.
- Confirm the mentor understands the Network Engineer Occupational Brief and can identify roles and responsibilities where the apprentice can learn and experience the knowledge standards required.
- Identify the type of accelerated training courses you see your apprentice taking
- Complete your Employer Declaration, where you'll create your job advert if you're hiring someone new