What is a Firebrand Azure Network Engineer Apprenticeship?
The apprentice will develop into an Azure Network Engineer. They’ll focus on Microsoft Azure virtual networks whilst learning how to design, install, maintain and support communication networks within an organisation or between multiple organisations.
Apprentices will become experts in network configuration and administration, including being able to provide targeted technical advice and guidance.
On the two-year programme; Azure Network Engineer apprentices will learn the principles of networking, protocols and associated technologies – including monitoring tools like Perfmon and New Relic. They’ll also learn how to:
- Connect an on-premises network to an Azure virtual network
- Install and configure network components, like switches, routers, and firewalls
- Extend on-premises IT environment into Microsoft Azure
- Troubleshoot Azure virtual network issues
- Undertake system upgrades to network hardware, software and operating systems
Typical job roles: Azure Network Engineer, Network Technician, Network Engineer, Systems Engineer & Network Administrator
How are employers involved?
- Employing an apprentice for a fixed 16-24 month contract to progress them beyond their existing skills
- Creating a position that will give apprentices an opportunity to work alongside IT professionals and learn the skills outlined in the Network Engineer Standard
- Dedicating an internal mentor to coach, organise and support the apprentice throughout their learning
- Working closely with Firebrand Training to build the best training programme
- Helping their apprentice with their final assessment programme to achieve all of their learning outcomes in the Network Engineer Trailblazer Standard
- Supporting other expenses required during the learning programme - including travel and additional learning
- Paying their apprentice the recommended minimum wage of £250 per week.
What qualifications can Azure Network Engineer apprentices achieve?
- Apprentices are independently assessed at the end of their programme to achieve the Network Engineer Apprenticeship at a Pass, Merit or Distinction grade
- They'll be assessed by Firebrand against Ofqal-regulated Knowledge Standards.
- Employers can buy additional exam vouchers, so apprentices can achieve more vendor certifications when they've gained the relevant work experience
- Apprentices will be recognised by the British Computer Society (BCS) for entry onto the register of IT Technicians, confirming SFIA level 3 professional competence.
How will Firebrand help?
- Our programmes are fully customisable - so we'll help tailor your programme to suit both employer and apprentice
- We'll designate a Programme Facilitator, who'll guide and support employers, mentors and apprentices throughout the programme
- We run courses throughout the year, meaning training can be scheduled around the progress of apprentices and their job role
- Travel and expenses are kept to a minimum, due to our residential and fully inclusive training
- Because we've delivered 100s of Tech Industry Gold Trailblazer apprenticeships already, we make things efficient and easy - leaving you to concentrate on apprentice needs and development
7 steps to being a Firebrand Apprentice employer
- Identify whether you're recruiting for a new role, or if you'd like to develop existing staff
- Choose a mentor for your apprentice - they'll be responsible for the programme’s success within your organisation.
- Confirm the mentor understands the Network Engineer Occupational Brief and can identify roles and responsibilities where the apprentice can learn and experience the knowledge standards required.
- Choose your employer contribution, which determines how much the government will additionally contribute
- Identify the type of accelerated training courses you see your apprentice taking
- Complete your Employer Declaration, where you'll create your job advert if you're hiring someone new
- If we're advertising your vacancy, we'll source the best candidates for you with our free, fast recruitment process
Your Azure Network Engineer programme
Apprentices specialise in Microsoft Azure. They’ll become experts in network configuration and administration and be able to provide effective technical guidance within an organisation.
Customise your IT apprenticeship programme
Your Azure Network Engineer programme is fully customisable, so you can change it to suit you as an employer or apprentice. In the table below, we've pre-selected the most popular Firebrand courses that align to the Occupational Brief in the government Standard for this apprenticeship. You can substitute these for optional courses up to the same value, where the same Knowledge Standards are covered.
Courses with Knowledge Standards highlighted in red cannot be substituted.
You can also add additional courses, to which the government will contribute two-thirds of the cost. If those courses don't align to Knowledge Standards, you would need to write a statement justifying why the apprentice needs this knowledge in their job role. Each Knowledge Standard must be covered in the programme, so ensure that the courses you choose cover all Knowledge Standards.
- Understands and applies the principles of networking, protocols and associated technologies
- Understands and applies the applied maths required to be a network engineer
- Understands the causes and consequences of system failure including load balance and storage protocols and responds appropriately
- Understands the architecture of a typical business IT system, including hardware, OS, server, virtualisation, middleware and applications
- Understands and responds to security threats, firewalls and vulnerabilities
Five reasons the Azure Network Engineer Firebrand Apprenticeship is for you
- Train with a Tech Partnership Gold Provider. Our programmes are designed and accredited by industry employers to deliver world-class tech training
- Certify at twice the speed. With our accelerated training, apprentices can spend longer in the workplace putting their certifications into practice
- Customise your programme. It's up to you which courses you choose for your programme to make it as relevant as possible for your business
- Free recruitment service. We'll find candidates for the job and ensure they've got all the right skills for your role - at no extra cost
- All costs are included. Our training includes all accommodation and food costs, plus transport to and from the nearest train station