What is a Firebrand Azure Software Developer Apprenticeship?
Apprentices will develop into Azure Software Developers - learning how to build and host application infrastructure in Azure. Azure Software Developers are responsible for designing, building and testing high quality Azure solutions and applications.
On this 18 month programme, apprentices will be introduced to the fundamentals of software development. They’ll then build on their knowledge as they learn how to:
- Develop effective user interfaces for Azure web applications
- Link code to a database
- Test code and analyse results to correct errors
Typical job roles: Web Developer, Azure Developer, Application Developer, Azure Application Developer, Mobile App Developer, Games Developer, Real Time Systems Developer and Software Developer
How are employers involved?
- Employing an apprentice for a fixed 16-24 month contract to progress them beyond their existing skills
- Creating a position that will give apprentices an opportunity to work alongside IT professionals and learn the skills outlined in the Software Developer Standard
- Dedicating an internal mentor to coach, organise and support the apprentice throughout their learning
- Working closely with Firebrand Training to build the best training programme
- Helping their apprentice with their final assessment programme to achieve all of their learning outcomes in the Software Developer Trailblazer Standard
- Supporting other expenses required during the learning programme - including travel and additional learning
- Paying their apprentice the recommended minimum wage of £250 per week.
What qualifications can Azure Software Developer apprentices achieve?
- Apprentices are independently assessed at the end of their programme to achieve the Software Developer Apprenticeship at a Pass, Merit or Distinction grade
- They'll be assessed by Firebrand against Ofqal-regulated Knowledge Standards.
- Employers can buy additional exam vouchers, so apprentices can achieve more vendor certifications when they've gained the relevant work experience
- Apprentices will be recognised by the British Computer Society (BCS) for entry onto the register of IT Technicians, confirming SFIA level 3 professional competence.
How will Firebrand help?
- Our programmes are fully customisable - so we'll help tailor your programme to suit both employer and apprentice
- We'll designate a Programme Facilitator, who'll guide and support employers, mentors and apprentices throughout the programme
- We run courses throughout the year, meaning training can be scheduled around the progress of apprentices and their job role
- Travel and expenses are kept to a minimum, due to our residential and fully inclusive training
- Because we've delivered 100s of Tech Industry Gold Trailblazer apprenticeships already, we make things efficient and easy - leaving you to concentrate on apprentice needs and development
7 steps to being a Firebrand Apprentice employer
- Identify whether you're recruiting for a new role, or if you'd like to develop existing staff
- Choose a mentor for your apprentice - they'll be responsible for the programme’s success within your organisation.
- Confirm the mentor understands the Software Developer Occupational Brief and can identify roles and responsibilities where the apprentice can learn and experience the knowledge standards required.
- Choose your employer contribution, which determines how much the government will additionally contribute
- Identify the type of accelerated training courses you see your apprentice taking
- Complete your Employer Declaration, where you'll create your job advert if you're hiring someone new
- If we're advertising your vacancy, we'll source the best candidates for you with our free, fast recruitment process
Your Azure Software Developer programme
Apprentices will develop into the role of an Azure Software Developer, learning how to build, manage, deploy and host code on Microsoft Azure. The primary role of the Azure Software Developer is to design, build and test high quality Azure solutions and applications.
Customise your IT apprenticeship programme
Your Azure Software Developer programme is fully customisable, so you can change it to suit you as an employer or apprentice. In the table below, we've pre-selected the most popular Firebrand courses that align to the Occupational Brief in the government Standard for this apprenticeship. You can substitute these for optional courses up to the same value, where the same Knowledge Standards are covered.
Courses with Knowledge Standards highlighted in red cannot be substituted.
- Understands and operates at all stages of the software development lifecycle
- Understands the similarities and differences (taking into account positives and negatives of both approaches) between agile and waterfall software development methodologies
- Understands how teams work effectively to produce software and contributes appropriately
- Understands and applies software design approaches and patterns and can interpret and implement a given design, compliant with security and maintainability requirements
- Understands and applies the maths required to be a software developer (e.g. algorithms, logic and data structures)
Five reasons the Azure Software Developer Firebrand Apprenticeship is for you
- Train with a Tech Partnership Gold Provider. Our programmes are designed and accredited by industry employers to deliver world-class tech training
- Certify at twice the speed. With our accelerated training, apprentices can spend longer in the workplace putting their certifications into practice
- Customise your programme. It's up to you which courses you choose for your programme to make it as relevant as possible for your business
- Free recruitment service. We'll find candidates for the job and ensure they've got all the right skills for your role - at no extra cost
- All costs are included. Our training includes all accommodation and food costs, plus transport to and from the nearest train station