What is a Firebrand Information Systems Business Analyst Apprenticeship?
The IS (Information Systems) Business Analysis apprenticeship programme develops apprentices an advisory role that gives a
critical layer of challenge and scrutiny for organisations delivering information systems change
successfully. The accelerated IS Business Analysis programme enables organisations to “do the thing right". The role
embodies early and regular investigation and analysis that ensures the right IS solution is chosen
to meet the required business need.
The main focus of the IS Business Analyst is to model business processes and to facilitate, coordinate and document detailed business
requirements regarding the business change agenda. IS Business Analysts will determine and
present solutions of how information systems can be used to improve operational efficiency, and
support acceptance testing to ensure that the proposed solution meets the defined requirements.
IS Business Analysis provides a recognised career with professionals taking lead roles in
successful change delivery in many organisations.
Typical Job Roles: IS Business Analyst, IT Business Analyst, Business Systems Analyst,
Requirements Analyst/Engineer, Business Process Analyst.
How are employers involved?
- Employing an apprentice for a fixed 18 month contract to progress them beyond their existing skills
- Creating a position that will give apprentices an opportunity to work alongside IT professionals and learn the skills outlined in the IS Business Analyst Standard
- Dedicating an internal mentor to coach, organise and support the apprentice throughout their learning
- Working closely with Firebrand Training to build the best training programme
- Helping their apprentice with their final assessment programme to achieve all of their learning outcomes in the IS Business Analyst Trailblazer Standard
- Supporting other expenses required during the learning programme - including travel and additional learning
- Paying their apprentice the recommended minimum wage of £200 per week.
What qualifications can Business Analyst apprentices achieve?
- Apprentices are independently assessed at the end of their programme to achieve the IS Business Analyst Apprenticeship at a Pass, Merit or Distinction grade
- They'll be assessed by Firebrand against Ofqual-regulated Knowledge Standards.
- Employers can buy additional exam vouchers, so apprentices can achieve more vendor certifications when they've gained the relevant work experience
- Apprentices will be recognised by the British Computer Society (BCS) for entry onto the register of IT Technicians, confirming SFIA level 3 professional competence.
How will Firebrand help?
- You IS Business Analyst programmes is customisable - so we'll help tailor your programme to suit both employer and apprentice
- We'll designate a Learning Mentor, who'll guide and support employers, mentors and apprentices throughout the programme
- We run courses throughout the year, meaning training can be scheduled around the progress of apprentices and their job role
- Travel and expenses are kept to a minimum, due to our residential and fully inclusive training
- Because we've delivered 100s of Tech Industry Gold Trailblazer apprenticeships already, we make things efficient and easy - leaving you to concentrate on apprentice needs and development
5 steps to being a Firebrand Apprentice employer
- Identify whether you're recruiting for a new role, or if you'd like to develop existing staff
- Choose a mentor for your apprentice - they'll be responsible for the programme’s success within your organisation.
- Confirm the mentor understands the IS Business Analyst Occupational Brief and can identify roles and responsibilities where the apprentice can learn and experience the knowledge standards required.
- Identify the type of accelerated training courses you see your apprentice taking
- Complete your Employer Declaration, where you'll create your job advert if you're hiring someone new
Customise your IT apprenticeship programme
Your IS Business Analyst programme is fully customisable, so you can change it to suit you as an employer or apprentice. In the table below, we've pre-selected the most popular Firebrand courses that align to the Occupational Brief in the government Standard for this apprenticeship. You can substitute these for optional courses up to the same value, where the same Knowledge Standards are covered.
Courses with Knowledge Standards highlighted in red cannot be substituted.
- How to conduct internal and external environmental analysis of an industry domain
- How business change and system development lifecycles work, including the use of appropriate methodologies and impact of organisational culture
- The role of the IS Business Analyst and its relationship with other roles on a business change initiative including those with system development responsibility
- The value of Business Analysis in improving the IS system performance of an organisation
- What is meant by IS Business Analysis and the stages of activity that constitute it
- The procedures, tools and techniques that can be used to conduct all stages of IS Business analysis
- The approach to investment appraisal, benefits realisation and management
- The purpose and value of quality assurance techniques
- The role and application of contemporary modelling software and techniques in modelling the current and proposed business processes
- How to scope, plan and manage Business Analysis tasks
- How to document options, proposals and plans arising from a specified IT Business Analysis assignment and the sign-off process
- The importance of communicating effectively and in a timely manner with a range of stakeholders during an IS Business Analysis assignment
Five reasons the Information Systems Business Analyst Firebrand Apprenticeship is for you
- Certify at twice the speed. With our accelerated training, apprentices can spend longer in the workplace putting their certifications into practice
- Customise your programme. It's up to you which courses you choose for your programme to make it as relevant as possible for your business
- Free recruitment service. We'll find candidates for the job and ensure they've got all the right skills for your role - at no extra cost
- All costs are included. Our training includes all accommodation and food costs, plus transport to and from the nearest train station
- Train with a Tech Partnership Gold Provider. Our programmes are designed and accredited by industry employers to deliver world-class tech training