What is a Firebrand Cisco Network Engineer Apprenticeship?
The apprentice will develop into Cisco Network Engineers - learning how to design, install, maintain and support communication networks within an organisation or between multiple organisations through Cisco technologies. They will understand network configuration and administration, the cloud and monitoring tools; and be able to give technical advice and guidance.
On the one-to-two year programme; the apprentice will learn the principles of networking, protocols and associated technologies, and how to:
- Install and configure network components; including switches, routers and firewalls
- Monitor, test and optimise network systems and performance
- Troubleshoot network issues and repair faults in hardware, software and the network
- Undertake system upgrades to network hardware, software and operating systems
Typical job roles: Cisco Network Technician, Cisco Network Engineer, Cisco Systems Engineer, Cisco Network Administrator
How are employers involved?
- Employing an apprentice for a fixed 16 month contract to progress them beyond their existing skills
- Creating a position that will give apprentices an opportunity to work alongside IT professionals and learn the skills outlined in the Network Engineer Standard
- Dedicating an internal mentor to coach, organise and support the apprentice throughout their learning
- Working closely with Firebrand Training to build the best training programme
- Helping their apprentice with their final assessment programme to achieve all of their learning outcomes in the Network Engineer Standard
- Supporting other expenses required during the learning programme - including travel and additional learning
- Paying their apprentice the recommended minimum wage of £250 per week.
What qualifications ans certifications can Cisco Network Engineer apprentices achieve?
As part of their apprenticeship, your apprentices must sit a number of pre-selected exams which they will need to pass to gain their Cisco Network Engineer Apprenticeship qualification at a Pass, Merit or Distinction grade. Apprentices are also assessed by Firebrand against Ofqual-regulated Knowledge Standards as part of their programme.
Exams and certifications are not mandatory for every Firebrand training course attended by apprentices, however employers can purchase additional exam vouchers when their apprentices have gained the relevant work experience if they wish to.
Once apprentices have completed their apprenticeship they are officially recognised by the British Computer Society (BCS) for entry onto the register of IT Technicians, confirming SFIA level 3 professional competence.
How will Firebrand help?
- Our programmes are fully customisable - so we'll help tailor your programme to suit both employer and apprentice
- We'll designate a Learning Mentor, who'll guide and support employers, mentors and apprentices throughout the programme
- We run courses throughout the year, meaning training can be scheduled around the progress of apprentices and their job role
- Travel and expenses are kept to a minimum, due to our residential and fully inclusive training
- Because we've delivered 100s of Tech Industry Gold Trailblazer apprenticeships already, we make things efficient and easy - leaving you to concentrate on apprentice needs and development
5 steps to being a Firebrand Apprentice employer
- Identify whether you're recruiting for a new role, or if you'd like to develop existing staff
- Choose a mentor for your apprentice - they'll be responsible for the programme’s success within your organisation.
- Confirm the mentor understands the Network Engineer Occupational Brief and can identify roles and responsibilities where the apprentice can learn and experience the knowledge standards required.
- Identify the type of accelerated training courses you see your apprentice taking
- Complete your Employer Declaration, where you'll create your job advert if you're hiring someone new
Your Cisco Network Engineer programme
Apprentices develop into the role of a Cisco Network Engineer - learning how to design, install, maintain and support communication networks within an organisation or between multiple organisations. They will understand network configuration and administration, the cloud and monitoring tools; and be able to give technical advice and guidance.
Customise your IT apprenticeship programme
Your Cisco Network Engineer programme is fully customisable, so you can change it to suit you as an employer or apprentice. In the table below, we've pre-selected the most popular Firebrand courses that align to the Occupational Brief in the government Standard for this apprenticeship. You can substitute these for optional courses up to the same value, where the same Knowledge Standards are covered.
Courses with Knowledge Standards highlighted in red cannot be substituted.
- Understands and applies the principles of networking, protocols and associated technologies
- Understands and applies the applied maths required to be a network engineer
- Understands the causes and consequences of system failure including load balance and storage protocols and responds appropriately
- Understands the architecture of a typical business IT system, including hardware, OS, server, virtualisation, middleware and applications
- Understands and responds to security threats, firewalls and vulnerabilities
Five reasons the Cisco Network Engineer Firebrand Apprenticeship is for you
- Certify at twice the speed. With our accelerated training, apprentices can spend longer in the workplace putting their certifications into practice
- Customise your programme. It's up to you which courses you choose for your programme to make it as relevant as possible for your business
- No cohorts. Apprentices train on Firebrand accelerated courses all-year round on our public schedule, training alongside industry professionals whenever it suits your business
- All costs are included. Our training includes all accommodation and food costs, plus transport to and from the nearest train station
- Train with a Tech Partnership Gold Provider. Our programmes are designed and accredited by industry employers to deliver world-class tech training